In the spring of 2001, Cynthia L. Flowers put forward the idea of starting a photography museum in Tampa. Shortly thereafter, Charles J. Levin (an attorney), Vincent Sorrentino (an art dealer) and Cynthia L. Flowers (a business owner) established the Tampa Gallery of Photographic Arts, a museum dedicated to photography. Working in close cooperation with Madison Marquette, Hyde Park Village owner, they secured the exhibition space for the museum. The first show “Masters of Black & White,” opened in May of 2001. With many of the early shows curated by Vincent Sorrentino, critical acclaim followed. Since its inception, the museum has qualified as a not-for-profit entity under the provisions of s. 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954, as amended.
In the summer of 2006, the Board of Directors changed the name of the museum to the Florida Museum of Photographic Arts to more accurately describe its purpose and mission. In addition to the new name, the museum relocated to downtown Tampa.
The Florida Museum of Photographic Arts is a museum dedicated to exhibiting important photographic art as central to contemporary life and culture. FMoPA collects, preserves and exhibits historic and contemporary works by nationally and internationally known photographic artists. FMoPA also enriches the community by operating outreach programs to educate children and adults.